Evogene announces positive results in Insect Control Seed Trait Program and advancement to Phase-I of first toxin against Western corn rootworm20/06/2017
Evogene also announces discovery of genes displaying initial insecticidal activity against stinkbug, a major pest in soy and other crops
Rehovot, Israel – June 20, 2017 – Evogene Ltd. (NASDAQ, TASE: EVGN), a leading company for the improvement of crop productivity and economics for food, feed and fuel, announced today the advancement of a gene displaying insecticidal activity against Western corn rootworm into Phase-I focusing on validation in target crops, following positive laboratory assay results. Additionally, the company announced for the first time the identification of a set of genes displaying initial toxic activity against southern green stinkbug, a major pest in soybean and other crops.
Evogene is advancing into Phase-I a gene, EVO30495, displaying high potency against Western corn rootworm, which is a major pest in corn. EVO30495 has met all of the phase advancement criteria, including efficacy and initial estimation of lower risk of toxicity to other organisms such as bees, animals and humans. Phase-I will include introduction of the gene into corn, followed by greenhouse experiments and further validation activities; initial results are anticipated within 1-2 years.
Evogene’s insect control seed trait program was initiated in 2014 and addresses numerous insect orders which pose serious threats to crop productivity, including Coleoptera, Lepedoptera and Hemiptera. The program is based on the utilization of Evogene's unique predictive computational discovery platform and proprietary metagenomics data, at its research facilities in Israel. The predicted genes were then validated at Evogene’s R&D site in St. Louis. This approach has already resulted in genes displaying initial insecticidal activity against major crop pests, with several genes at the later stages of discovery, and includes today’s advancement of EVO30495 into Phase-I.
Additionally, for the first time Evogene has identified a set of genes displaying initial toxic activity against another major pest, the southern green stinkbug. The discovery of toxin gene traits against stinkbug is particularly significant, as there are currently no commercially available insect control seed trait solutions for this major pest in soybean and other crops.
Ofer Haviv, Evogene's President and CEO, stated: “We are very pleased to announce the rapid advancement of our insecticidal seed trait program, and in particular these two specific achievements that address major market needs. Our novel toxin for Western corn rootworm that is now being advanced into Phase-I addresses an existing $1.5 billion market. Furthermore, the identification of genes showing toxic activity against stinkbugs is very exciting since this is a significant agricultural pest with an estimated market potential of over $1 billion, without any currently available commercial seed trait solution.”
Mr. Haviv concluded: “I look forward to reporting continued progress in our insect control program as we continue to demonstrate the power of our multidisciplinary predictive discovery approach to the substantial and increasing unmet needs in this important market area.”
About Evogene Ltd.:
Evogene (NASDAQ, TASE: EVGN) is a leading biotechnology company for the improvement of crop productivity for the food, feed and fuel industries. The Company operates in three key target markets: improved seed traits (addressing yield increase, tolerance to environmental stresses and resistance to insects and diseases); innovative ag-chemicals (developing novel herbicide solutions for weed control); and ag-biologicals. Evogene has collaborations with world-leading seed and ag-chemical companies. For more information, please visit www.evogene.com or contact the Company at email@example.com.
Forward Looking Statements:
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” relating to future events. These statements may be identified by words such as “may”, “could”, “expects”, "intends", “anticipates”, “plans”, “believes”, “scheduled”, “estimates” or words of similar meaning. Such statements are based on current expectations, estimates, projections and assumptions, describe opinions about future events, involve certain risks and uncertainties which are difficult to predict and are not guarantees of future performance. Therefore, actual future results, performance or achievements of Evogene may differ materially from what is expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements due to a variety of factors, many of which beyond Evogene's control, including, without limitation, those risk factors contained in Evogene’s reports filed with the appropriate securities authority. Evogene disclaims any obligation or commitment to update these forward-looking statements to reflect future events or developments or changes in expectations, estimates, projections and assumptions.
Chief Financial Officer
T: ( 972)-8-931-1963
Press releases for 2016
- Evogene announces positive results in Insect Control Seed Trait Program and advancement to Phase-I of first toxin against Western corn rootworm
- Evogene Reports First Quarter 2017 Financial Results
- Evogene Financial Results for the First Quarter of 2017 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Marrone Bio Innovations and Evogene Advance Novel Bacteria and Related Proteins Beyond Discovery into Insecticidal Product Development Phase
- Evogene to Present Innovative Approach for Improving Cannabis for Medical Needs at CannaTech Summit
- Evogene Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Financial Results
- Evogene and ICL Innovation Sign Collaboration for Development of Crop Enhancers
- Evogene Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene to Transfer Stock Exchange Listing to Nasdaq
- Evogene Reports Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results
- Evogene Announces Positive Field Trial Results in Ag-biologicals Program
- Evogene Third Quarter 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene and IMAmt Sign Collaboration for Genomic Promoter Discovery and Validation in Cotton
- Evogene Announces Joint Microbial Diversity Activity with University of Missouri
- Evogene Announces Participation at the 18th Annual Rodman & Renshaw Global Investment Conference in New York City September 11-13th, 2016
- Evogene Appoints a New Member to Board of Directors and a New Chief Operating Officer
- Evogene Reports Second Quarter 2016 Financial Results
- Evogene to Participate at Piper Jaffray Global Agriculture Symposium
- Evogene Second Quarter 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene to Present at Crops and Chemicals 2016 Conference
- Evogene Reports Financial Results for the First Quarter of 2016
- Evogene and Marrone Bio Innovations Disclose Positive Results in Insect Control Collaboration
- Evogene to Present the Potential of Integrating Novel Genome Editing Technology with its Core Capabilities for Improved Seed Traits at Plant Genomics Congress
- Evogene’s First Quarter 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene Files Annual Report for the Year Ended December 31, 2015
- Evogene Selected for Photosynthesis Research Consortium within European Horizon 2020 Program
- Evogene Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2015 Financial Results
- Evogene Discloses Positive Results in Yield Improvement Collaboration with Monsanto Utilizing Novel 'Trait-First' Methodology
- Evogenes Fourth Quarter with Full Year 2015 Earnings Announcement Schedule