Evogene Reports Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results21/11/2016
Rehovot, Israel – November 21, 2016 – Evogene Ltd. (NYSE; TASE: EVGN), a leading company for the improvement of crop productivity and economics for the food, feed and fuel industries, announced today its financial results for the third quarter and nine months ended September 30, 2016.
Ofer Haviv, Evogene's President and CEO, stated: "We continue to be very pleased with the progress we are seeing in both our on-going collaborations with leading agriculture related companies world-wide, and our own internal programs. In this respect, we are particularly pleased to have recently announced positive results in our Ag-biologicals program, focused on bio-stimulants, for more than ten microbial strains that successfully completed the first year of testing and validation in corn for drought resistance. Further ahead, we will look to out-license advanced microbial strains to relevant partners for further development and commercialization, with the view to have a commercial product offering as early as five to six years from today."
"In our seed traits area, where we have active programs for the development of both crop enhancement traits and crop protection traits, we continue to build upon the positive results we announced in several of our most significant programs. These activities include supporting the advancement of our most promising candidate genes further in Monsanto's product development pipeline, and further validation of several successful candidate toxins we identified as part of our insect control program," continued Mr. Haviv.
"In addition, this past quarter we expanded our collaboration pipeline with the signing of an agreement with IMAmt, a leading Brazilian developer and marketer of cotton seeds, for the discovery and validation of novel genomic elements to support IMAmt's product development of insect-resistant cotton varieties."
"Finally, we continue to successfully advance our program for the discovery of novel chemical compounds for herbicides. This past quarter, chemical compounds identified by Evogene have demonstrated herbicidal activity in plant bio-essay tests and were advanced to the next stage of optimization," concluded Mr. Haviv.
Financial results for the period ended September 30, 2016:
Cash position: As of September 30, 2016, Evogene had $93.1 million in cash, short-term bank deposits and marketable securities, representing a net cash usage of $3.9 million for the third quarter and $7.6 million for the nine months ended September 30, 2016. We expect our net annual cash usage for the current calendar year to be slightly below our previously disclosed range of $14 to $16 million.
Revenues primarily consist of research and development payments, reflecting R&D cost reimbursement under certain of our collaboration agreements. The majority of these agreements also provide for development milestone payments and royalties or other forms of revenue sharing from successfully developed products, and therefore, longer term, the Company anticipates that its future revenues and profitability will largely reflect the receipt of such payments from its existing and future collaborations.
Revenues for the third quarter of 2016 were $1.5 million compared to $3.3 million for the same period in 2015. Revenues for the nine months ended September 30, 2016 were $5.4 million, compared to $8.7 million for the same period in 2015. This decline reflects the net decrease in such research and development payments in accordance with the work plans under Evogene's various collaboration agreements. It includes changes in the scope and type of activities undertaken by the Company as part of its yield and stress collaboration with Monsanto, whereby resource intensive activities, such as novel gene discovery and validation, evolved to focus increasingly on optimization activities supporting Monsanto’s ongoing development with respect to advancing Evogene discovered genes.
Cost of revenues include research and development expenses related to the Company’s on-going activities in support of collaboration agreements. Cost of revenues for the third quarter of 2016 were $1.4 million compared to $2.5 million for the same period in 2015. Cost of revenues for the nine months ended September 30, 2016, were $4.5 million, compared to $6.2 million, for the same period in 2015. The net decrease primarily related to the change in the scope and type of activities performed under Evogene's collaboration with Monsanto, as noted above.
R&D expenses for the third quarter of 2016 were $3.9 million compared to $3.1 million for the same period in 2015. R&D expenses for the nine months ended September 30, 2016, were $11.7 million, compared to $10.3 million for the same period in 2015. This increase largely related to the expansion of activities, primarily focused on the development of computational platforms, as well as discovery and validation activities, in our key growth engines – insect control, ag-chemicals and ag-biologicals.
Operating loss for the third quarter of 2016 was $5.2 million compared with $3.8 million for the third quarter of 2015. Operating loss for the nine months ended September 30, 2016, was $14.9 million compared with $12.6 million for the same period in 2015. The increase in operating loss was primarily due to the decrease in revenues discussed above, which were partially offset by the net decline in other expense categories.
Net loss for the third quarter of 2016 was $5.1 million compared with a net loss of $3.4 million in the third quarter of 2015. Net loss for the nine months ended September 30, 2016, was $12.9 million compared with a net loss of $11.7 million for the same period in 2015.
Conference call and webcast details:
Evogene management will host a conference call today at 9:00 am Eastern time, 16:00 Israel time to discuss the results. US-based participants are invited to access the call by dialing 1-888-668-9141, and participants from Israel and other countries are invited to access the call at 972-3-918-0610. A replay of the conference call will be available beginning at approximately 1:00 pm Eastern time, 20:00 Israel time today, and will be accessible through November 23, 2016. US-based participants are invited to access the replay by dialing 1-888-254-7270, and participants from Israel and other countries are invited to access the replay at 972-3-925-5937. A replay of the call may also be accessed as a webcast via Evogene’s website at www.evogene.com and will be available for a period of ten days.
About Evogene Ltd.:
Evogene (NYSE, TASE: EVGN) is a leading biotechnology company for the improvement of crop productivity for the food, feed and fuel industries. The Company operates in three key market segments: improved seed traits (addressing yield increase, tolerance to environmental stresses and resistance to insects and diseases); innovative ag-chemicals (developing novel herbicide solutions for weed control); and ag-biologicals. Evogene has collaborations with world-leading seed and ag-chemical companies. For more information, please visit www.evogene.com or contact the Company at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This press release contains "forward-looking statements" relating to future events. These statements may be identified by words such as "may", "could", "expects”, "intends", “anticipates”, “plans”, “believes”, “scheduled”, “estimates” or words of similar meaning. Such statements are based on current expectations, estimates, projections and assumptions, describe opinions about future events, involve certain risks and uncertainties which are difficult to predict and are not guarantees of future performance. Therefore, actual future results, performance or achievements of Evogene may differ materially from what is expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements due to a variety of factors, many of which beyond Evogene's control, including, without limitation, those risk factors contained in Evogene’s reports filed with the appropriate securities authority. Evogene disclaims any obligation or commitment to update these forward-looking statements to reflect future events or developments or changes in expectations, estimates, projections and assumptions.
Press releases for 2016
- Evogene Reports First Quarter 2017 Financial Results
- Evogene Financial Results for the First Quarter of 2017 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Marrone Bio Innovations and Evogene Advance Novel Bacteria and Related Proteins Beyond Discovery into Insecticidal Product Development Phase
- Evogene to Present Innovative Approach for Improving Cannabis for Medical Needs at CannaTech Summit
- Evogene Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Financial Results
- Evogene and ICL Innovation Sign Collaboration for Development of Crop Enhancers
- Evogene Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene to Transfer Stock Exchange Listing to Nasdaq
- Evogene Reports Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results
- Evogene Announces Positive Field Trial Results in Ag-biologicals Program
- Evogene Third Quarter 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene and IMAmt Sign Collaboration for Genomic Promoter Discovery and Validation in Cotton
- Evogene Announces Joint Microbial Diversity Activity with University of Missouri
- Evogene Announces Participation at the 18th Annual Rodman & Renshaw Global Investment Conference in New York City September 11-13th, 2016
- Evogene Appoints a New Member to Board of Directors and a New Chief Operating Officer
- Evogene Reports Second Quarter 2016 Financial Results
- Evogene to Participate at Piper Jaffray Global Agriculture Symposium
- Evogene Second Quarter 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene to Present at Crops and Chemicals 2016 Conference
- Evogene Reports Financial Results for the First Quarter of 2016
- Evogene and Marrone Bio Innovations Disclose Positive Results in Insect Control Collaboration
- Evogene to Present the Potential of Integrating Novel Genome Editing Technology with its Core Capabilities for Improved Seed Traits at Plant Genomics Congress
- Evogene’s First Quarter 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene Files Annual Report for the Year Ended December 31, 2015
- Evogene Selected for Photosynthesis Research Consortium within European Horizon 2020 Program
- Evogene Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2015 Financial Results
- Evogene Discloses Positive Results in Yield Improvement Collaboration with Monsanto Utilizing Novel 'Trait-First' Methodology
- Evogenes Fourth Quarter with Full Year 2015 Earnings Announcement Schedule