Evogene Selected for Photosynthesis Research Consortium within European Horizon 2020 Program19/04/2016
Leads Efforts for Discovery of Regulatory Elements to Modulate Photosynthesis for Enhancing Crop Productivity, Undertakes Plant Proof of Concept Validation, & Potentially Leads Commercialization
Rehovot, Israel – April 19, 2016 – Evogene Ltd. (NYSE; TASE: EVGN), a leading company for the improvement of crop productivity and economics for the food feed and biofuel industries,
announced today that it is participating in a consortium for research in photosynthesis within the EU Horizon 2020 Program for Research and Innovation. Academic participants include the Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology and the Institute of Terrestrial Microbiology, Weizmann Institute of Science, and the Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine. The consortium’s research program is focused on an innovative approach to modulate photosynthesis related pathways aiming to improve photosynthetic efficiency.
Evogene, the only commercial entity in this consortium, will lead the efforts for discovery of regulatory elements required for pathway modulation and undertake in plant proof of concept validation, as well as potentially lead commercialization. The consortium will receive a grant of approximately 5 million Euros for the program in total, Evogene will receive 902,000 Euro from this amount for its participation in the consortium.
Ofer Haviv, Evogene's President and CEO commented: "Evogene is very proud to be a key member of this prestigious consortium addressing a fundamental and critical aspect of ag-biology, further demonstrating the recognition of our expertise and ability to bring innovation to agriculture. This capability rests on our unique technology platform, combining proprietary scientific understanding and advanced computational technologies to utilize agriculture big-data. We are confident that our participation will both be of significant value to the research being undertaken by the consortium and enable Evogene to establish novel expertise in photosynthesis as a means of yield improvement, thus adding to our world leading scientific expertise in traits for enhancing crop productivity".
Dr. Arren Bar-Even of the Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, the coordinator of the consortium added: “Feeding 10-15 billion people at the end of this century is a tremendously challenging task that will only be met by the implementation of drastic measures to increase agricultural productivity. We try to tackle this challenge by using state-of-the-art synthetic biology tools to design, evolve, and implement highly efficient carbon fixation routes. The project comprises an interdisciplinary effort that integrates diverse skills in computational biology, chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology and plant physiology".
About Evogene Ltd.:
Evogene (NYSE, TASE: EVGN) is a leading biotechnology company for the improvement of crop productivity. The Company has developed a proprietary innovative technology platform, leveraging scientific understanding & computational technologies to harness Ag ‘Big Data’ for developing improved seed traits (via: GM and non-GM approaches), as well as innovative ag-chemical and novel ag-biological products. Evogene has strategic collaborations with world-leading agricultural companies like: BASF, Bayer, DuPont, Monsanto and Syngenta, focusing on innovative crop enhancement and crop protection solutions. For more information, please visit www.evogene.com.
About Horizon 2020.:
Horizon 2020 is the EU Framework Program for Research and Innovation. Horizon 2020 is the biggest EU Research and Innovation program with nearly €80 billion of funding available over 7 years (2014 to 2020). It promises more breakthroughs, discoveries and world-firsts by taking great ideas from the lab to the market. The FET Open program in which the Consortium participates is a program that supports the early-stages of the science and technology research and innovation around new ideas towards radically new future technologies. It also funds coordination and support actions for such high-risk forward looking research to prosper in Europe.
This press release contains "forward-looking statements" relating to future events. These statements may be identified by words such as "may", “expects”, "intends", “anticipates”, “plans”, “believes”, “scheduled”, “estimates” or words of similar meaning. Such statements are based on current expectations, estimates, projections and assumptions, describe opinions about future events, involve certain risks and uncertainties which are difficult to predict and are not guarantees of future performance. Therefore, actual future results, performance or achievements of Evogene may differ materially from what is expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements due to a variety of factors, many of which beyond Evogene's control, including, without limitation, those risk factors contained in Evogene’s reports filed with the appropriate securities authority. Evogene disclaims any obligation or commitment to update these forward-looking statements to reflect future events or developments or changes in expectations, estimates, projections and assumptions.
Press releases for 2016
- Evogene to Present Innovative Approach for Improving Cannabis for Medical Needs at CannaTech Summit
- Evogene Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Financial Results
- Evogene and ICL Innovation Sign Collaboration for Development of Crop Enhancers
- Evogene Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene to Transfer Stock Exchange Listing to Nasdaq
- Evogene Reports Third Quarter 2016 Financial Results
- Evogene Announces Positive Field Trial Results in Ag-biologicals Program
- Evogene Third Quarter 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene and IMAmt Sign Collaboration for Genomic Promoter Discovery and Validation in Cotton
- Evogene Announces Joint Microbial Diversity Activity with University of Missouri
- Evogene Announces Participation at the 18th Annual Rodman & Renshaw Global Investment Conference in New York City September 11-13th, 2016
- Evogene Appoints a New Member to Board of Directors and a New Chief Operating Officer
- Evogene Reports Second Quarter 2016 Financial Results
- Evogene to Participate at Piper Jaffray Global Agriculture Symposium
- Evogene Second Quarter 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene to Present at Crops and Chemicals 2016 Conference
- Evogene Reports Financial Results for the First Quarter of 2016
- Evogene and Marrone Bio Innovations Disclose Positive Results in Insect Control Collaboration
- Evogene to Present the Potential of Integrating Novel Genome Editing Technology with its Core Capabilities for Improved Seed Traits at Plant Genomics Congress
- Evogene’s First Quarter 2016 Earnings Announcement Schedule
- Evogene Files Annual Report for the Year Ended December 31, 2015
- Evogene Selected for Photosynthesis Research Consortium within European Horizon 2020 Program
- Evogene Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2015 Financial Results
- Evogene Discloses Positive Results in Yield Improvement Collaboration with Monsanto Utilizing Novel 'Trait-First' Methodology
- Evogenes Fourth Quarter with Full Year 2015 Earnings Announcement Schedule